Friday 26 July 2013

Artful readers Club - Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks


It is hard to say I enjoyed this book as the trench warfare scenes are harrowing but it was a wonderful read. Beautifully written and totally unforgettable.The book follows the life and loves of Stephen Wraysford from his initial pre- war stay in France to the finding of his diaries some 60 years after the war. For those who may read it I do not want to give the story away but I was almost holding my breath towards the end. The characters, however briefly they appear, are so well described that I felt that I knew them and certainly cared about their fate. I have read stories of the First World war before but after reading this one I really understand why my Grandad would never talk to me about his experiences and why the poppy is such an appropriate emblem for the fallen.
I felt inspired to try and paint my piece this month and used acrylics on canvas. I painted and used a small poppy stamp with the red paint as a layer. I used a stencil through a mask to add the barbed wire and confess this was added through my tears, such was the effect of this book. I added a bird to reflect Stephen's last journey through the trenches and a larger 3D poppy.
I am so glad I finally got around to reading this book.
Jen x





















13 comments:

  1. My mum read and loved this book some time ago and was always trying to persuade me to read it, but I am such a wuss when it comes to sad stories, especially wartime ones, so I have shied away. I really should force myself one day as I'm sure it will be rewarding. Your artwork is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your canvas works perfectly! It is always a strange effect, looking at a field full of poppies with delight, only to feel a twinge of guilt when we remember the fallen. Beautiful work :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was taken back by the sadness you felt for these characters, especially Wraysford. War has that effect on us, I fear. This is a beautiful review, full of emotion.

    For one of our holidays, our Vets sell poppies. I wrote a piece on my blog honoring Memorial Day about the poem "In Flanders Fields." I was far more impressed with your artwork than mine. You did a fantastic job with the field of poppies as well as the barbed wire. This is a heartfelt piece. and I really enjoyed seeing it come together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book a few years ago. It is very powerful and full of passion and I do remember the ending being really uplifting too. I think it is wonderful that a novel could move you to tears. I think your art work for this is superb.The composition and heartfelt beauty of it is deeply moving. Thank you for sharing both review and painting. Julie Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love poppies and grow them around my farm for their beauty and so I love your canvas too! ♥
    It must have been a good read if it moved you to tears!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen...that's a moving piece of art even if I didn't know the background. Beautifully done...both the review and your art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you got round to reading too! I've been recommending it for years, but I did warn you about the tears! ;) A fantastic piece of art though lady... Beautiful. Bxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bright sweet poppies and rough dangerous wire are an excellent symbol of of war. There is suffering, like the suggests, and there are also many wonderful things: friendships stronger than life, courage that we didn't know we have, stories...

    Great book, and even greater artistic expression of the reading experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful canvas, thanks for the individual steps. i adore poppies and have loads in my garden. The book sounds so moving, i can well imagine that it would make me cry too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful canvas, Jen. An unforgettable book that had a profound effect on me. You have really done it justice.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Given the fact that just looking at your beautiful artwork actually brought tears to my eyes, it is clear that I would not be able to read this book, even though your review shows how good it must be. I loved the review, and your image is one of those that has already photographed itself into my brain and I can see it without looking at the screen. Ehat stronger accolade could you have.
    I am sure you have read the WWI poets like Wilfred Owen, which are also so powerful. Thank you for a wonderful review page.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything about this post is beautiful, your review, your thoughts on the book - your canvas.

    I'm not sure I could read the book. I find it hard watching war films etc. But I do love what you created from it.

    ReplyDelete